Nonlinear Photonic Crystals
Nonlinear optics enables us to control light by light. This is why it plays a key role in photonics – the science and technology to generate, transfer and process information by means of light. Quadratic optical nonlinearities are traditionally employed for frequency conversion, i.e., to generate new wavelengths (colours) from a laser beam, but they can also enable all-optical devices, which control and reshape an optical signal by means of another (change its path, modulate its intensity, switch it on and off, etc). Purely nonlinear photonic crystals and quasi-crystals, based on ad-hoc periodically poled structures in ferroelectric materials such as LiNbO3 or LiTaO3, provide a powerful tool to coherently control the nonlinear response. The nonlinear photonic crystals we are currently developing can enable tailoring new sources of multi-entangled photons [entanglement is the key ingredient for quantum cryptography and quantum communications] and multiwavelength coherent sources in monolithic and fibre-compatible device formats.
- O. Jedrkiewicz, A. Gatti, E. Brambilla, G. Tamosauskas, P. Di Trapani and K. Gallo, "Superresonant parametric generation in nonlinear photonic crystals", The European Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, CLEO Europe 2017, 25-29 June 2017.
- M. Conforti et al., "Broadband parametric processes in \(\chi \)(2) nonlinear photonic crystals," Optics Letters, vol. 39, no. 12, s. 3457-3460, 2014.
- V. Folli, K. Gallo och C. Conti, "Purely nonlinear disorder-induced localizations and their parametric amplification," Optics Letters, vol. 38, no. 24, s. 5276-5279, 2013.
- M. Levenius, V. Pasiskevicius and K. Gallo, "Angular degrees of freedom in twin-beam parametric down-conversion," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 101, no. 12, s. 121114, 2012.
- M. Levenius et al., "Multistep quadratic cascading in broadband optical parametric generation," Optics Letters, vol. 37, no. 10, s. 1727-1729, 2012.
- K. Gallo et al., "Twin-beam optical parametric generation in chi((2)) nonlinear photonic crystals," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 98, no. 16, s. 161113, 2011.
- M. Manzo et al., "Two-dimensional domain engineering in LiNbO 3 via a hybrid patterning technique," Optical Materials Express, vol. 1, no. 3, s. 365-371, 2011.
- M. Levenius et al., "Ultra-broadband optical parametric generation in periodically poled stoichiometric LiTaO(3)," Optics Express, vol. 19, no. 5, s. 4121-4128, 2011.
- K. Gallo, "Spatial Wave Dynamics in 2-D Periodically Poled LiNbO3 Waveguides," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 45, no. 11, s. 1415-1420, 2009.
- K. Gallo et al., "Parametric Solitons in Two-Dimensional Lattices of Purely Nonlinear Origin," Physical Review Letters, vol. 100, s. 053901, 2008.
- G. Assanto et al., "Spatial Solitons in 2D Lattices of a Nonlinear Nature," Optics and photonics news (Print), vol. 19, no. 6, s. 29-32, 2008.
- K. Gallo och G. Assanto, "Spatial solitons in chi(2) planar photonic crystals," Optics Letters, vol. 32, no. 21, s. 3149-3151, 2007.
- K. Gallo, C. Gawith och P. Smith, "Bidimensional Hexagonal Poling of LiNbO3 for Nonlinear Photonic Crystals and Quasi-Crystals," Ferroelectrics (Print), vol. 340, s. 69-74, 2006.
- K. Gallo et al., "Guided-wave second-harmonic generation in a LiNbO3 nonlinear photonic crystal," Optics Letters, vol. 31, no. 9, s. 1232-1234, 2006.
- R. Bratfalean et al., "Harmonic generation in a two-dimensional nonlinear quasi-crystal," Optics Letters, vol. 30, no. 4, s. 424-426, 2005.
- C. Montes, A. Picozzi and K. Gallo, "Ultra-coherent signal output from an incoherent cw-pumped singly resonant optical parametric oscillator," Optics Communications, vol. 237, no. 4-6, s. 437-449, 2004.